Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Princess Ben By Catherine Gilbert Murdock


I did like this book (it has a fairy tale element to it).  Ben has to quickly learn how to become a princess/queen when her parents are killed suddenly by a "dragon" or so their enemies claim.  Yet, Ben has no desire to become queen and she hates the dance lessons, table manners, and sewing.  Finally she is banished to a tower room where she finds a portal that leads to a magic chamber.  Here Ben learns a few tricks and learns the art of becoming a true leader.  The magic in this book was fun, but I wished they spent more time explaining or using the magic.  The magic in the book just kind-of comes and goes and I felt that it should have been a larger part of the story.  I also did not appreciate the talk about Ben's weight...I never feel this should be part of a middle school story!  I liked the fantasy elements but felt the story could have come together better.

No comments: